Sunday, February 01, 2009 I'm committed to making this year an EXTRAORDINARY year. So I started thinking, what is the difference between the word extraordinary and ordinary...it is the simple word extra. Extra is defined as over and above the usual. One extra degree can make all the difference. At 211 degrees, water is hot. At 212 degrees, it boils. So the question is what can I do or what can we do that is above the norm to make this year an extraordinary year?
How can we actually make those new years resolutions stick? How can we lose weight? Stick to going to the gym? Quit smoking? Find better life/work balance? Find something creative to do? How can we stop the negativity that holds us still? Change is always possible.
Its not about getting rid of a bad habit but rather building more positive ones.
I've put together a handy list to use to make sure that this year is extraordinary.
1. Be CLEAR about what you want. Rather then say I want to lose weight, set SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant and Time Bound) goals. Create specific goals with time frames and action steps. Use this to work step by step to reach your goals. Don't just look at the big picture, "I want to lose 30 pounds", instead think "today I am going to go to the gym for 40 minutes and eat x,y and z"
2. Make a serious commitment. Its important to get really clear on what you want and understand why you want that change. Use that to inspire you daily.
3.Set up a tracking system. When I meet with clients I always start by asking them what's new and good. People are so used to sharing what is going wrong in their life that this provides an excellent opportunity to reflect on what is good, what you've accomplished. Find someone to share what is going well in your life or write it down in a journal.
4. Have a backup plan. Its likely you are going to fall off the wagon here or there. Rather then beat yourself up about it have a plan B. How will you tackle the situation? Take the opportunity to learn from the setbacks. What didn't work? What can I change?
5. Imagine your success. If you can't really picture something happening its likely that you won't make it happen. Visualize what you want. What does it look like, feel like, smell like? Do you look happy in that future?
6. Get rid of your limiting beliefs. Limiting beliefs are only that, they are limiting. They are your subconscious resistance to change. They have such a strong effect on your body that they can really hinder your goals. Our beliefs become our biology. In this image below the scientist wanted to show what happens in our body when we have happy thoughts versus when we have negative thoughts. The idea is that all thoughts are energy and thus effects the structure of water.
You Make Me Sick, I Will Kill You Love and Appreciation
I found this astounding to see the formation in the water. If thoughts can affect the molecular structure of water, and our bodies are made up of 75% water, imagine how our thoughts affect the health and wellbeing of our bodies!
7. Get support. Support is really the key to making change. Whether that is from a professional, friend or loved one, you need someone to help you and hold you accountable for the changes you are trying to make.
Let's make this year EXTRAORDINARY,