Monday, October 05, 2009
In the July Issue of the Mind Body Spirit Guide, I gave a simple exercise for converting sexual energy into powerful life force for the entire body. The following exercise builds upon that and allows provides you with a simple practice that will help keep your internal organs in good health while simultaneously increasing the connection between mind, body and spirit. The directions for this internal practice are as follows:
1) While standing upright with knees slightly bent and arms relaxed at your sides begin deep breathing, causing the lower belly to expand and contract as you inhale and exhale. A good method to practice lower belly breathing is to lie down on your back and place a slightly heavy object on your stomach below your navel. A bag of sand is ideal for this, but other items will work as well. The object should rise when you inhale and fall when you exhale, indicating that you are breathing properly. Eventually through continued practice, this will become your normal method of breathing, which will improve your level of vitality significantly.
2) As you inhale, visualize that you are absorbing energy from all directions (front, back and sides) the heavens above and the earth below. As you inhale, you are like a dry sponge absorbing water.
3) As you exhale, feel energy radiating from your body, like a light bulb on a dimmer switch being dialed brighter and brighter, filling the room with light.
4) Perform steps 2 & 3 for three to five minutes
5) Now, slowly raise your palms and point them at one another. As you exhale, gently squeeze them towards one another but don’t let them touch. As you inhale allow them to gently move apart. If you are emitting chi, you should eventually feel a magnetic repelling like sensation between your palms. Tingles, heat, pressure and cool wind are other sensations that you may experience until your chi gets stronger.
6) Form this sensation into a “ball of energy” with your imagination.
7) Now, raise this ball to your forehead and hold it there. As you inhale, feel the energy coming into the front of your skull and moving towards the back of your skull. As you exhale feel it move from the back to the front. Repeat 5 times.
8) Move the ball to your neck and inhale and exhale the energy through your throat. Then move it below your collarbone to breathe energy into your thymus. Do 5 breath cycles for each organ.
9) Next, do your heart, followed by your lungs. Then do your spleen on the left side of your body, followed by your liver and gallbladder on the right side. Then move the energy into the center of your solar plexus and breathe into the stomach and pancreas. Continue this simple process for the large and small intestines finishing with the bladder and sex organs. To breathe into your kidneys and adrenal glands, reach both hands around your back and point your palms at this area of the body. As you inhale, lean forward slightly and gently squeeze your hands as if you were squeezing a small balloon. Feel the energy going into your back. As you exhale lean back to the initial position and feel the energy on your palms. Repeat for 5 breath cycles.
Obtaining a chart of human anatomy is also helpful for locating as well as visualizing the internal organs. This exercise should be quick and easy, taking less than 10-minutes to perform on a daily basis. If you cannot feel the energy initially, rub your palms together vigorously while exhaling with the sound “Haaaaaah” (like fogging a mirror), warming your hands significantly. Place the warm hands on the body as described above and try to absorb the heat of your hands into the various organs. With regular practice, you will succeed.
On a side note, I would like to make readers aware that the location I teach at (World Class Institute of Martial Arts) was featured as the 2009 winner for channel 4’s (WDIV) “Vote 4 The Best” contests. There are many nice comments about the Martial arts, Qigong and Cardio Kickboxing classes on their site and I would like to express my sincere gratitude. Thank you all very much!
Sifu Dan Ferrera is the senior Qigong instructor and sole proprietor of the Michigan Institute of Qigong Healing & Wellness, LLC headquartered at the World Class Institute of Martial Arts in Livonia Michigan. Email: LivoniaQigong@Yahoo.com