Thursday, July 02, 2009Introduction:
There are many questions wondering on what and how herbal packs work. Is it the heat or cooling effects on the application caused the healing or the actual natural ingredients inside the pack are the soothing elements to the pains?
If the heat or cooling elements are the essence, why do we have to pay such a price for the products? Are the scents really important during treatments?
What is Herbal Pack?
Herbal pack is a product which is filled with natural herbs and purposely design to provide pain relief and elevate discomfort due to typical muscle stiffness. Depending on the manufacturers, the filling ingredients and ratio composition of the herbs may vary from one to others. There is no official guidelines on this matter and is not being reviewed by FDA or other international drug/ medical institutes.
There are hundreds or probably thousands of different designs, shape, and filling ingredients of this product. Certain design may serve specific location of your body, while the rectangular pillow shape are commonly perceived as universal product.
How to choose the good one?
What are the uses of herbal pack?
Consider the condition(s) that you wish to treat. Herbal packs come in a variety of sizes and shapes including those designed for the face/eyes, shoulders and neck, and larger areas such as the back or stomach.
- Learn the filling properties of different herbs for maximum benefit. Do not just judge the products simply by the fragrances that you enjoy. A sample of herbs designed to relax muscles or reduce inflammation include chamomile, lavender, peppermint and cinnamon. It is also essential to know if there are heating element on the blends, such as wheat & flax seeds. Peppermint & spearmint are another popular choice that may be an additional benefit to sinus conditions.
- Look for 100 percent natural ingredients in an aromatherapy herbal pack. Natural ingredients should offer superior aromatherapy benefits and often better heat retention.
- Find an herbal pack that offers a removable cover. You may find the benefits of easy cleaning upon usages or sharing the packs with others. Also,natural packs are prone to internal and external mold and mildew growth. Therefore, you have to diligently store the packs in the freezer inside the sealed plastic bag.
- Identify the product claim with regards to heat retention, which should be at least 30 minutes for best results. Optimally, look for herbal packs which contain flax seeds and wheat as the main filler. Flax seeds and wheat are reputed to have superior heat retention over rice/ corn and most other fillers. The exception is facial packs, which require more comfort and cooling therapy.
- Look for designs for your specific are of treatments. They have to be comfortable, easy to use and convenience.
It will gently help in relieving pain, stiffness, and tension. If you have pain or discomfort from stress or sinus problems then you have to try one of these. The purpose of these herbal packs is to concentrate the healing effects by combining heating and/ or cooling effects on specific parts of the body.
Can it really work?
According to Vert Mooney, MD. Heat therapy application can help provide lower back pain relief through several mechanisms:
Ok, We know that heat therapy can relief pain, stiffness and pain. So what are the benefits using herbal pack then other method such as massage?giftset21
Heat therapy dilates the blood vessels of the muscles surrounding the lumbar spine. This process increases the flow of oxygen and nutrients to the muscles, helping to heal the damaged tissue.
- Heat stimulates the sensory receptors in the skin, which means that applying heat to the lower back will decrease transmissions of pain signals to the brain and partially relieve the discomfort.
- Heat application facilitates stretching the soft tissues around the spine, including muscles, connective tissue, and adhesions. Consequently, with heat therapy, there will be a decrease in stiffness as well as injury, with an increase in flexibility and overall feeling of comfort. Flexibility is very important for a healthy back.
Just 2 reasons. One is easy to do. You can put the herbal pack while sleeping or while at work or in the car. And the other one is cheaper than taking a professional massage.
Tips and Warnings when buying Aromatherapy Herb Pack
How to use it to get the maximum benefit?
Look for an aromatherapy herbal pack that serves double duty as an ice pack if cold therapy is needed.
- Be cautious when taking a heated aromatherapy herbal pack out of the microwave and avoid overheating.
You should check the temperature. It should be warm enough to relief your pain but don’t get your skin burning! You can use enough insulation in between.
The longer the products applied is the better. For a very minor treatment you can use for 15 to 20 minutes. But for more intense injury you can use longer from 30 minutes to 2 hours.
A specific type of products may feel better for one person than for another, It’s better for you to figure it out yourself which one works best.
Avoid aromatherapy herb pack when you have following disease.
Please note that herbal pack should not be used in certain circumstances. For example, if area is swollen or bruised, heat should not be used. Heat application is also not suitable in the following cases:
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Peripheral vascular disease
- Open wound
- Severe cognitive impairment
Patients should consult doctors if they have heart disease or hypertension.