About Our Practice
Whole Health Acupuncture is a quiet sanctury located in Elk Grove Village, Illinois. Not only do Kara and Sarah want their patients to feel better, they want their patients to know how to make themselves feel better. Fostering awareness and education is key in this approach. It is the intention of Whole Health Acupuncture that patients find healing and also leave with the tools they need to maintain health. This is achieved through the complete system of Chinese Medicine and various other complimentary techniques.
A first visit usually lasts about 60 minutes. During this time a consultation is done where the acupuncturist will go through your health history to understand the patterns of your body as well as looking at the tongue and feeling the radial pulses. From here you will rest on a zero gravity recliner and receive acupuncture. When you feel your treatment is complete, or when you wake from your nap you can signal your acupuncturist to "unpin" you. The consultation is a time for you to ask any questions you might have about Chinese Medicine and voice any concerns as well.
Your treatment will take place in a calming treatment room where you will have the space to restore your body. A benefit of community style acupuncture is that patients report relaxing quicker and deeper around those doing the same thing. Patients typically start with a 5 week treatment plan and come into the office 1-2 visits a week depending on how long an imbalance has been going on for. From here the patient's goals and results are evaluated. Most patients report feeling better in a 5 week period without returning back to how they felt before receiving treatment. Each session builds on the next so it is imperrative that you are consistent with your treatments.
If you are ready, we invite you to discover you potential within.
Sarah Zender, L.Ac. LMT.
- Sarah Zender began her studies of holistic health at the National University of Health Sciences in Lombard school of Massage Therapy where she earned a certificate in Therapeutic Massage Therapy in 2003. Sarah continued on her educational journey at the Temple of Kriya Yoga where she earned a 200 hour certificate in Hatha Yoga teacher training. From here Sarah continued on to the Midwest College of Oriental Medicine earning a Bachelor's degree in Nutrition and Master's degree in Oriental Medicine. Sarah also holds an advanced 108 hour certificate in Acupuncture from the Guangzhou University of Traditional Chinese Medicine in Guangzhou, China where she spent time in specialized lectures on Traditional Chinese Medicine for women’s health, weight loss, MS, strokes and more in addition to interning at the teaching hospital on both the acupuncture and tui na (massage) departments.
- Sarah’s approach to the human body is truly holistic using a wide range of modalities. The goal of this approach is to learn the deeper meaning of dis-ease by not only healing the symptom but the root cause of imbalance as well. The approach emphasizes the partnership of Practioner and Client and the empowerment of the Client through education and self awareness.
- Sarah is also facilitating ASIS Arizona School of Integrative Medicine curriculum as Adjunct Professor at Oakton Community College and College of Lake County in the areas of Student Liaison, Swedish massage instructor and Communication and Ethics instructor.
Kara Canga-Arguelles, L.Ac.
- Kara obtained a Master's degree in acupuncture and herbal medicine at Midwest College of Oriental Medicine in Chicago, and also holds a Bachelor's degree of psychology from the University of Illinois.
- Kara has also traveled extensively and taught English, particularly in Latin America. Her travels and global friendships led her to study eastern medicine, chiefly because acupuncture had changed her, physically and emotionally, in her early twenties.
- She is a proponent of natural childbirth and breastfeeding, and mother to both a young boy and girl.
- Kara is most pleased to help others unify their psyche and body through acupuncture, using the body as a gateway to heal the mind, as they are connected. She also has a special interest in treating issues pertaining to gynecology, pregnancy, and pediatrics.